Marine Services Technology
Marine Service Technology teaches entry level technical knowledge and skills needed to repair and maintain your own boat, enter the job market in the Marine Trades, and pursue advanced certification and degrees in the field, from wooden and composite boat building to marine systems and design. The program is nationally certified by the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) and offers industry certification(s).
Students that enroll in the Marine Service Technology program will spend approximately 75% of their time in the shop with hands-on knowledge and skill development and the remaining 25% with traditional instructional methods (lecture, readings, discussion, training films, guest speakers, site-visits, etc.). Students that excel will be able to maintain systems (electrical, plumbing, engine) and structures (wood, composites), diagnose and perform needed repairs, and navigate and handle small boats. Also, advanced students may be selected to represent Hancock County Technical Center in the SkillsUSA state skills championships.
Marine Service Technology is a satellite program housed at MDIHS.